If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (570) 235-1646

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Home Fire Checklist

12/7/2015 (Permalink)

  • There is at least one working smoke alarm on every level of your home (including the basement).
  • The smoke alarms are installed in sleeping areas.
  • Smoke alarms that are 10 years old or older have been
  • replaced.
  • Smoke alarms are kept free of dust & debris by vacuuming the exterior gently and/or wiping with a cloth.
  • Alarms are tested monthly. Everyone in the home can hear & recognize the sound it makes & knows to react immediately.
  • An adult stays in the kitchen when food is cooking on the stove top & children know to stay 3 feet from the oven.
  • The stove top is clean – no grease, spills, or clutter.
  • The oven is never used to heat the home.
  • In the event of a small grease fire, you know that the best thing to do is slide the lid over the pan, turn off the burner, and leave the pot until completely cool. If the fire is large, just get out!
  • Chimney, furnace and/or heating system is inspected yearly.
  • Space heaters are kept at least 3 feet from anything that can burn & are turned off when leaving the room or going to bed.
  • Extension cords are never used with space heaters.
  • Fireplace has sturdy screen to catch sparks.
  • All escape routes are free of clutter.
  • Doors & windows leading outside open easily.
  • All household members know 2 ways out of every room if possible.
  • An outside meeting place has been designated & all household members know to go there in the event of a fire in order to be accounted for.
  • The escape plan is practiced at least twice a year by all household members.
  • Electrical cords do not run under rugs & are not frayed or cracked.
  • Clothes dryer lint filter & vent pipe are cleaned regularly.
  • Appliances are plugged directly into wall outlets, not extension cords.
  • A qualified electrician is called to do electrical work in the home.


  • Smokers smoke outside the home.
  • If medical oxygen is being used in the home, smoking is strictly prohibited.
  • Matches & lighters are kept out of children’s sight & reach.
  • Ashtrays are large, deep & sturdy.
  • Ashes are always fully extinguished & are emptied into a container that will not burn (such as one made of metal).
  • House rules include not smoking in bed or while lying down.
  • Lit candles are not left unattended & are kept a foot from anything that can burn. (Consider using flameless candles instead!)
  • Bulbs in light fixtures are the correct recommended wattage for the lighting fixture.
  • All combustibles are stored away from ignition sources such as water heaters and pilot lights.
  • Your house number is visible from the street so that emergency responders can find it easily.
  • A carbon monoxide (CO) alarm is located on every level of your home. Everyone in the home knows to go outside quickly if the CO alarm sounds.
  • If building or remodeling a home, consider the installation of home fire sprinklers. When looking for a condo or apartment to rent, search for ones that have firesprinklers installed.

Being prepared is the most important plan. SERVPRO of Carbondale/Clarks Summit/Old Forge hopes that you NEVER needs us, however know that we are available 24/7 to meet any smoke, fire or water emergency that your home or business may experience. Call us at (570) 235-1646.

Other News

View Recent Posts