Do's n Don'ts of Cleaning Smoke, Soot and Fire Damage
What makes SERVPRO of carbondale/Clarks Summit/Old Forge is our certained fire restoration technicians and specialized equipment. It is not recommended to attempt to clean and/or repair fire damage yourself, however we know that there are the you do-it-yourselfers so we wanted to pass along these tips so that when we do arrive your ceiling does not look like the below picture.
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting your SERVPRO Franchise Professional.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.
If the project becomes overwhelming, call SERVPRO of Carbondale/Clarks Summit/Old Forge to have a professional fire and odor certified technician restore your home or business.