What to do After a Fire
Fires are devastating. Even a small fire can cause major damage. Knowing what to do after a fire is one key component of both safety and mitigating damages.
Here are a few tips of what a fire victim could do:
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
By following these guidelines you increase the odds of "saving" your belonging and mitigating any further damage.